17.7.11

Peas

I'm still being a slack poster so here's a quick update. I planted a crop of dwarf peas and on advice from the seed packet, and some gardening books, I didn't give them any support. They were supposed have "sturdy, compact bushes. What I ended up with was a tangled, mildewy mess. Still, I did get a few meals out of them and today I dug them in along with some weeds and blood and bone so at least they'll make a good green manure for the tomatoes this spring. I also emptied all my old bean and pea packets into the bed which I'll allow to grow for about a month before digging them in too.
I haven't learned my lesson form last season and planted my Telphone Peas at the wrong time. While they are healthy, flowering and starting to set pods the flowers don't begin until a meter above the ground. This is a lot of wasted growth. I need to wait until early spring or get them in at the end of February so they can flower up the full height of the plants.



4 comments:

  1. But with climate creep, some plants are growing quite nicely out of season. In an act of optimism we've put in broccoli and cauliflower as well as peas and beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maramalade, your right, everything is worth a shot and acts of optimism are great acts. I got a few meals out of my peas so all's well. Where in the world is Marmalade Cottage? It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Graham

    Actually, you know us - and isn't that cryptic! We're in Midland, and are friends of friends who are in Mt Hawthorn...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...ok... I'll work on the identification. :)

    ReplyDelete