15.7.12

Tip Shop Greenhouse

I needed a greenhouse to get my tomato seeds in early but all the ones in shops are either too expensive or look they'll fall apart in a light breeze. A visit to the Balcatta Recycle Centre, better known as the Tip Shop, produced this old bread bin for $10. I think it's going to work out well and it will hold about thirty 100mm pots.
 This summer I'll be trying heirloom varieties Tommy Toe, Jaune Flamme, Costoluto Genovese and Wapsipinicon Peach. I grew Costoluto Genovese last year and they didn't work out but I have some plans to correct that this year. If last year was anything to go by Jaune Flamme will always have a place in my garden. Wapsipinicon Peach is from Iowa with tiny hairs on it's skin like a peach. It's reputed to have a better taste than Tommy Toe which is one of thhe best tomatoes I've tasted. I've also put in some capsicum seeds from a pack of Mixed Italian Fryers that include Jimmy Nardello, Cubanelle, Golden Marconi and Bulls Horn. I have no idea which ones are which in this packet or what any of these look like. A bit of research is in order. All of the above were bought through Diggers.


2 comments:

  1. that's a great little greenhouse Acko, hope it's enjoying the new location ... how are the tomato babies coming along ... and have you tasted the leeks yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The babies are coming along nicely. I haven't pulled any leeks yet. Maybe this coming Friday for FNF!

    ReplyDelete