13.9.10

Carrots

These are the All Seasons carrots 14 weeks after sowing. I was thinking they were a bit slow but now, after a bit research, I think this is about right for winter planting. I'll see how long it is from sowing to pulling then decide if it's worth growing them through winter.
   I planted another row of this variety in early July, these are ticking along slowly but surely. In bed two, on the 30th of August, I planted a row of Chantenay, a stumpy variety that Peter Cundall always recommends. If they're good enough for The Man, they're good enough for me. Carrots take a while to germinate, up to two weeks, so I covered them with a strip of newspaper to keep them moist. They were up in nine days so pretty happy with that. The Sunday Times has never been put to better use.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment