20.9.10

First spring Planting

On the 12th of September I sowed seeds of Derwent Globe beetroot, a heritageTasmanian variety from the 19th century apparently. These were up on the 18th and are being thinned out now. Seeds of Dwarf Sensation sunflowers went in too. I’ve planted these for some colour and to help bring bees and wasps into the garden. They only get around 40cm high so hopefully, if the seed packet is anything to go by, they will give the sunflower look without the space requirements of proper sunflowers. The “Potted sunshine” claim is a bit twee though. I used to grow Russian Giant sunflowers in a house in Bassendean and growing these monsters to over eight feet tall, with a single flower 40cm across, was fun but they took up a lot of space.

 I also planted some flat leaf parsley from seed saved from plants from the garden at my last home. My pot planted parsley is going to seed so I need replacements.

I found some volunteer basil seedlings coming up in some pot plants and I’ve pricked these out and planted them around the beds that will be planted with tomatoes this coming long weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment