7.11.10

The Three Sisters

Today I planted some Bule Lake climbing bean seeds amongst the corn. This is part of a native american indian companion planting combination known as the three sisters. The sisters are corn, beans and squash. The idea is that the corn provides support for the beans, the squash, in my case butternut pumpkins, shade the soil keeping in moisture and smothering weeds. Even though my butternuts are going to be growing vertically I'll let some tendrils creep amongst the corn. The beans fix nitrogen in the soil for the next crop. They are also a good nutritional combination. I've never tried this before and as a big fan of companion planting it will be interesting to see how it works out. Not much to see at this stage apart from the corn but i'll keep up to date as things progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment